The tastes, traditions, and old-world class of these landmark establishments make for a true New York experience. It’s no coincidence these foods can all be found in the historic and savory West Village.
LOWER EAST SIDE FOOD TOUR
Duration: 3 hours
Stops: Seven different tasting locations
Tastings: All food included. Enough food for lunch. Vegetarian friendly. Click here for other dietary restrictions.
ABOUT LOWER EAST SIDE FOOD TOUR
Don’t fall for the culinary tourist traps when you’re in Manhattan! Sidewalks of NY offers irresistible New York food tours in the cultural hotspot of the Lower East Side.
Join us as we explore what was once an immigrant and working-class neighborhood rich in ethnic diversity and culture. Learn about the history of the tenement buildings occupied by the poor. The neighborhood is best known for having once been a center of Jewish culture. We view historic synagogues and nosh on delicacies from the best kosher-style delis and bakeries in the city.
This 3-hour food walking tour includes 6 tastings at different establishments (we choose the places, subject to change). Private Tour tasting locations may be different than ones listed below.
- Castillo de Jagua – Authentic Caribbean Spanish Cuisine (Est. 1986)
- Russ & Daughter’s: NYC’s premier appetizing shop (Est. 1914)
- Katz’s Delicatessen: The best delicatessen in New York (Est. 1888)
- Aranchini Bros. at Essex Market: Bold, unique flavors of rice balls made from an old Siciilain family recipe.
- North Dumpling: Authentic handmade northern Chinese dumplings.
- Economy Candy: Stocking all types of candy, nuts, and dried fruit from floor-to-ceiling. “Noshers’ paradise of the Lower East Side.” (Est. 1937)
- The Pickle Guys: Pickles made the old-fashioned way. Try a new, half sour, or full sour pickle. Pucker up! (Est. 2002)
- Kossar’s Bialys: The oldest bialy bakery in the United States. (Est. 1936)
- Doughnut Plant: Unique flavors and a mouthwatering family recipe. (Est. 1994)
Behind every great food establishment in this city, there is an equally great story of history, tradition, and even innovation. On our food tours in New York City, you discover these amazing histories while tasting what has made these eateries so prized among locals. Discover just what makes Sidewalks of NY food tours the best in the city!
FOOD TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
- Mouthwatering food from century-old authentic Jewish delis and bakeries
- No waiting in a line wrapped around the block for scrumptious delicacies
- Explore the Lower East Side’s historic tenement buildings and synagogues.
- Visit an old-fashioned candy store serving the neighborhood since 1937.
- Taste a tres leches and blackout cake doughnut from award winner Doughnut Plant NYC.
- The personalities of our native New Yorker tour guides thrill and entertain you.
- Learn about the culture and history of the neighborhood and its gentrification.
- Check out the funky mix of trendy boutiques, mom-and-pop shops, and cozy cafes.
Private Lower East Side Food Tour
Want to make our delicious and fun Lower East Side food tour a private event? Contact us! We specialize in curating the best private culinary experiences.
The tour meets in front of the Katz’s Deli located at 205 East Houston Street. If you are lost or running late, please call us at 877-568-6877.
The closest subway stop is the 2nd Ave stop on the F train. Exit the station and walk east on E Houston. The bakery is located on the right between Forsyth and Eldridge Streets.
You can also take the B, D, F, or M to Broadway-Lafayette. Walk east on E Houston St until you pass Forsyth St. The bakery will be on your right.
The Delancey and Essex Municipal Parking Garage is located at 107 Essex St, between Delancey and Rivington, and it’s about a 5-minute walk to the tour meeting location (205 East Houston Street). There is free street parking if you get very lucky. Read the signs for parking rules and restrictions.
- All food tastings are included.
- One bottle of water is provided. Additional drinks have to be purchased on your own.
- Tip for your food tour guide. It is customary to tip your guide 15%-20% of the purchase price.
Please review the seller’s policies for this activity. Once tickets are purchased, these are binding.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled
Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine
The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders are allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled